Saturday, October 18, 2014

Two Music Masters/Veterans

Yesterday afternoon I had a visit with my old friend and bandmate David Grisman. He was scheduled to play an evening of duets at the City Winery in NYC with John Sebastian. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but given David's musical talent I knew he could blend in with just about anyone in any style of music. I couldn't stay for the performance, but I've always enjoyed working sound checks more than performances anyway. When an entertainer takes the stage for an audience, he's there to perform with his public persona. During a sound check or rehearsal the real deal comes out. He can get angry, happy, annoyed .... whatever. And I don't have to worry about being in anyone's line of sight, I can stand on chairs, or walk around on stage (usually .... yesterday was an exception). 

The music was great, kind of like the duets Grisman recorded with Jerry Garcia, but with a different twist à la Sebastian. Next month Grisman is appearing at the City Winery with bluegrass all-star Del McCoury. I'm really looking forward to that.

Here's some of Dawg and Sebastian:






No comments:

Post a Comment